Saturday, July 24, 2010

Expectations vs. Reality



Education is important in this country. You go to kindergarten with you're 5 years old, sometimes Pre-K before that. And if you keep going, you're in school for the next 13 years. Then comes college. Four years, if you're lucky. So for the last 17 years of my life, I have been a Student. That has been my official title. I've added a few other sub-titles since entering college, like Part-Time Teacher, and Wife. Those have been good titles. But now, for the first time ever... I am no longer a Student. My life is my own! Or is it...

The reason we go to college is to prepare for our careers. I've spent so much time following my passions, because I believe that's what's really important in life. I completed a double major in Music and Spanish. And yes, I did get the same comments over and over again. "So, what are you gonna do when you graduate?" Or, "How are you gonna make any money??" Valid questions. Questions that I'm still answering, nearly three months after the big graduation ceremony.

What I expected of my life post-grad, and what I've experienced so far haven't quite matched up. I expected to graduate, feel a huge sense of liberation and relief, and start a great job that paid well and fulfilled me as a person. Without going into too much detail, I did have a job lined up that fell through, and I've been scrambling ever since. When you're a kid, the adults tell you that you can do anything you want to do! How wonderful! But when you're an adult, life gets in the way of the things you dreamed about doing. You get an apartment or a house, a car, cell phones, and a myriad of other bills, all demanding payment every month. Suddenly your main job requirement is that your paychecks cover your monthly bills.

This summer I've had my first taste of full-time job searching. It hasn't been my favorite way to spend time, by a long shot. Plus, every employer I meet with acknowledges the fact that this is a terrible time to be a new grad searching for a job. We all know that the economy isn't at its best. But I'm young, and I will prevail. I've gotten a few job leads, and with any luck (and blessings and favor!!) my next post will be about my new job.

What I want from life at this stage is a job that I can feel somewhat proud of doing, that has decent hours and decent pay. I want to come home from work, and enjoy the magic of free time that doesn't involve completing homework assignments. I plan on posting about the things that I end up doing with my free time, like cooking and sewing, which are my main hobbies. (The sewing is a brand new venture, though.)

So here it is - my life post-grad. It's been quite interesting so far, and I'm sure it will stay interesting!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere!! I hope you post more than me, but no pressure! I agree about the reality of adulthood. We thought that once David graduated, I could finish soon after and we wouldnt have worry about money or anything else except Benjamin! HAH! Then life sets in...

    Well I hope things get better! Ill be praying for ya. And you`ll have to show me some of the things you sew! We could swap craft ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the rest of your life! you will certainly be blessed for your efforts and hard work---good luck on the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I'm so glad you did it! I love reading about other people's lives (I'm nosy like that ...) but I'll especially love reading about yours =)

    It's interesting to get your perspective on graduation and the job market when I'll start college soon - I'll definitely come here for some words of wisdom.

    I'm sorry about the job that fell through, but I wish you so much luck finding a new one! It must be draining and stressful, but we're all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I'm glad you are enjoying your free-time! What kind of things do you want to sew? I'm hoping to start working on sewing a simple quilt (the magazine makes it look easy anyway, I've never tried to make one before).

    I pray that you'll know where to look for that job that the Lord has for you and I look forward to reading about how it all comes together at the right time! Life is an adventure and you are well prepared, so enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I'm so glad you decided to start a blog! Be warned: it can be a timesucker! So, does Schuyler have any big plans on trying out his new web design skillz on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you all like my blog so far! I'll try to keep it interesting! ;)

    ReplyDelete